What are Substantially Equivalent Programs?
The Accreditation Board accredits undergraduate (bachelor) programs only. The Engineers Canada Accreditation Board evaluates engineering programs offered outside of Canada. These evaluations follow Accreditation Board criteria and procedures. Programs that meet the Accreditation Board criteria are deemed “substantially equivalent” to similar Canadian programs.
Against which criteria and procedures are programs seeking substantial equivalency assessed?
Programs seeking substantial equivalency are assessed against the criteria and procedures of the Engineers Canada Accreditation Board. These are published annually in the fall. This document contains information for higher education institutions outside of Canada seeking to offer Substantially Equivalent Programs. It also contains a list of all programs that have, or have received, substantially equivalent status. It includes the procedures for substantial equivalency visits (refer to Appendix 11).
- Accreditation Criteria and Procedures Report 2017 (Accreditation Visit Cycle 2018 - 2019)
Working documents for substantial equivalency visits
The following related documents are for higher education institutions preparing for substantial equivalency visits.
- Complete questionnaire 2017 (Accreditation Visit Cycle 2018 - 2019)
(ZIP file – Microsoft Excel and Word documents)
- This ZIP file is a complete package that includes the questionnaire and all required Excel data tables.
- Calendar of Events for Accreditation Visits (Accreditation Visit Cycle 2018 – 2019)
- Manual of Accreditation Procedures (Accreditation Visit Cycle 2018-2019)
- Sample Visit Schedule
- Sample team chair presentation
- Evaluation of the Substantial Equivalency Visit Process Form
- Visiting Team Member Performance Evaluation Form
- Dossier Assessment Form
- Request for Substantial Equivalency Visit Form
- Tracking of Program Issues: Working document
- Visiting Team Report Template